Monday, February 13, 2012

Don't eat the marshmallow!

You know the famous Marshmallow Test that studied delayed gratification in kids? A child is told she can have one marshmallow right away, or two marshmallows if she'll just wait a couple of minutes. Putting aside the fact that marshmallows are gross, what kind of person are you? I'm totally the stuff-it-in-my-mouth-right-now kind of a gal (Get your head out of the gutter!). Actually, I'd probably be the sorry-ass kid who took one marshmallow immediately and then begged piteously for more. 

Case in point- A few weeks ago I was sitting around with the Magpie, uselessly gnashing my teeth over the fact that two of my parents have been diagnosed with cancer in the span of two months.  Feeling impotent and sad, sitting at home in Austin while mom is getting schlepped to radiation and chemo appointments in New Orleans, I decided to do what any loving and thoughtful adult daughter would do: CUT MY OWN BANGS.

Ever penny-wise (read: impatient), I looked for a how-to video on the internet. Since I'm 35, and I have frizzy, curly, White-girl hair, I followed the instructions given by a gorgeous teenager with thick, straight, Asian-girl hair.  Curiously, the bangs I cut did not look like the side-swept bangs cut by Rosebud143. My bangs looked more like one of my daughters' craft projects involving little bits of brown yarn.

Two professional haircuts and 4 weeks later, I'm finally okay leaving the house without stuffing the "bangs" into a bunch of little clips. And look, even Magdalena likes it!

Major damage-control courtesy of Roxie at Avant Salon!

No comments: